Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Misconception about Vegetarianism and Veganism

I met one of my colleagues on my way back to the office and I was busy engrossed in reading my copy of Vegan with a Vengence by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Yeah! I finally got it through the help of Stella who bought it in Borders)

And the conversation goes:
Ms J: Oh you're reading on design.
ME: Nope. I'm reading this book on Vegan cooking.
Ms J: What's that?
ME: It's vegetarian cooking.
Ms J: Oh you are also interested in vegetarian cooking.
ME: Yeah I'm a vegetarian ( didn't say vegan coz she'll get more confused!)
Ms J: Oh! Really! Is it by choice or religion?
ME: By choice. After reading up on all the horrors about meat and the meat industry, diary industry, it's just an easy transition for me. In the past I've always been a vegetables, fruits and fish person so it's kinda easy for me to totally eliminate meat from my diet.
Ms J: Oh is it? Isn't it tough to give up meat?
ME: Nope.
Ms J: So what do you eat? Vegetables only?
ME: (oh come on! so stereotypical!) Yes but there's more. Nuts, tofu, tempeh, mushrooms, seitan, and many more just like you except no meat, eggs and diary.
Ms J: Huh! Isn't that difficult to get vegetarian food when you dine out?
ME: No, not at all. Even in a normal restaurant, I can always opt for the vegetarian version which many restaurants have in their menu.
Ms J: Oh I can't give up meat.
ME: (Smiling) Well since I'm still young now so I have the duty to take care of my body so that it will do me good all the way till I get old!
Ms J: So where do you get your strength?
ME: From eating carbs...(duh!)

So you see, as vegan/vegetarian, we're always being ask why we become one and what do we eat. Most people think that vegetarian/vegan food are boring. Well it is not! And we are also very creative in our cooking, check out some of my favourite vegan sites/blogs: www.veganyumyum.com, blog.fatfreevegan.com, www.theppk.com and they'll have more links for you or just google vegan.

Anyway meat is tasteless and bland and they get their wonderful taste and aroma from seasonings and spices. Without them, I'm sure you would not even want to eat them. Also if you want cholestrol, meat is the only dietary cholestrol you'll be getting!!! Talking about controlling cholestrol levels! Humans are creatures of habit and so it is always your own choice whether do you want to do something different or just remain in your comfort zone.

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching veganism/vegetarianism. Everyone has their choice and this is the life that me and my family has chosen which we hope will be the best for us. However, if you are willing to share your experience or is interested in veganism, you are always welcome to email me!

With that, I leave you with a phrase from the Vegetarian Society of Singapore:
"If animals are meant to be eaten by humans, why would such a diet contributes significantly to our health problems? Why do the animals display such extreme fear and pain towards fulfilling their "meaning in life" to be eaten by humans?"-VSS

No comments: