Sunday, November 11, 2007

My brown rice


This was last night's dinner. I added chickpeas, corn and raisins and cooked them together with the brown rice in the rice cooker. Then I topped it with Tofutti mozzarella cheese. It would be better if the cheese was melted but since I don't have the time to bake it in the oven (definitely not nuking my food!!!), so I just make do with that! ^_^ Side dishes were stir fry Kailan with Shitake mushrooms and celery with carrots, Shitake mushrooms and sliced almonds. Simple, yummy and healthy!

Recipe

Servings for two
Brown rice with chickpeas, raisins and corn
INGREDIENTS
1 cup of brown rice (gently rinsed and soaked in water for at least two hours or more if you want a softer texture)
1/4 cup chickpeas (soaked overnight)
1/4 cup corn kernels
2 tablespoons of natural raisins soaked in water to plumb them (those green ones with no sugar added and no preservatives)
Tofutti soy mozzarella cheese (optional)

METHOD
1. Cook all the ingredients in the rice cooker. 1 cup of brown rice to 1 3/4 cup of water. I used 2 cups as I prefer softer rice.
2. Let stand in cooker for ten minutes after the rice is cooked.
3. Scoup a portion of rice onto oven bowl and place mozzarella cheese on top and bake in preheated oven at 150 deg C for five to ten minutes or until cheese has melted.
4. Serve immediately.

You can add any other ingredients of your choice. Hope you enjoy this simple rice as much as I do.

^_^

No comments: