Sunday, December 16, 2007

Craving for Bubor pulot hitam


I have been craving for bubor hitam for so long and especially today as I have been feeling under the weather lately due to certain reasons which I will reveal later. Also I am in no mood to make any crafts which I am supposed to do. I guess eating was the best way to put me back on track. I remembered I had a recipe on it and I also have a pack of glutinous black rice in my pantry. I made a huge pot of it and will be sharing it with my colleagues and Andy's. The taste is just perfect. Not too sweet nor bland. It kind of does the trick to make me feel better but physically I am still very feeling drained and tired.

Recipe
Black rice pudding with coconut milk (Bubor Pulot Hitam)

Servings for 4

INGREDIENTS
I cup (200g) glutinous black rice, washed in several changes of water, drained
6 cups (1.5 liters) water
2 pandan leaves, rinsed, raked with a fork, tied into a knot
2 tablespoons dark molasses or gula melaka
1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
1 - 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste
1 cup (250ml) coconut cream
pinch of salt

METHOD
1. Put the rice in a large saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Add the pandan leaves, molasses and coconut milk. (I only used half of it)
3. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring from time to time, until rice is soft and swollen, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Remoce pandan leaves.
5. Taste and add sugar if desired.
6. Combine coconut cream and salt.
7. Serve warm and drizzle with coconut cream and enjoy!

Bubor pulot hitam is loved by Indonesians or Malaysians and is also very popular in Singapore. They can be enjoyed any time, for breakfast, snack or dessert.

2 comments:

Oiyi said...

I've never had this before. At first I thought it was Red Bean Soup.

I hope you feel better soon. I am exhausted because I can't get a good night's sleep. I guess that's what happens when the time is near to give birth.

teresa fsw said...

Thanks Oiyi! It's a really yummy food especially paired with the coconut milk or cream. I'm all well now. I can understand. Tummy's huge, baby sitting on the bladder, can't sleep well and you're wishing to see the baby soon! I'm excited to see the arrival of your little one! Take good care of your oiyi!