Saturday, January 19, 2008

My favourite soup


Lotus soup is my favourite soup of all time. This is a vegetarian version. I would like to share my recipe with all of you and I hope that you like it too!

Some information about the ingredients. Lotus root is warming, good for lung ailments and increasing energy. It is also a digestive aid and helps control blood pressure. White fungus is beneficial to the lungs, liver, kidney, eyes. It also contains anti-oxidants to combat free radicals and improves blood circulation as well as calcium absorption capability. Red dates tones the spleen, improves blood circulation and aids breathing. Wolfberries or Goji berries are beneficial to the liver and kidney, promotes increased energy, improves blood circulation and enhances general well-being.
(Source from Chinatown food and Sacfood Coop)

Lotus Roots Soup
RECIPE
Servings 2-4

INGREDIENTS
300g of lotus roots, cut into small discs
10 red dates
A handful of wolfberries
1 medium carrot, cut into small discs
1 1/2 tbsp of low sodium Miso
1 tsp of Organic Vegetarian G powder or Dashi or vegetable stock
2 litres of water

METHOD
1. Pour the water into a pot and bring it to a boil. Soak red dates and wolfberries in a bowl of water to soften them.
2. Once water has started boiling, put in lotus roots, red dates, wolfberries and carrots. Simmer heat and cover.
3. Continue cooking soup till water level drops to 1/4 of the original level which may be about 30-45 minutes. I always like to cook soup on low heat for longer periods so that the broth will be thick.
4. Then add the vegetarian G powder or Dashi or vegetable stock. Stir and simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add the miso paste. Make sure miso is completely dissolved in soup.
6. Serve immediately.

I always add carrots to my soup to make the soup sweeter and also carrots are good for the eyes and they have beta carotene! I hope you like the soup too! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Oiyi said...

When my mom was here last week, she made me a lot of herbal soups to help me recover. I don't know what everything is or for, but I drink it anyways.

teresa fsw said...

Yeah that's always the case for Chinese Families!!! I had loads of herbal soups during my confinement period too! And I do make herbal soups every month for ourselves to nourish our bodies.